There are fourty-five charts on the wall in the basement of my church. Each chart has a member of the youth group’s name on it, along with a small box for each chapter on the New Testament in the Bible. After a chapter of the Bible is read by that person, the box is filled in with a red marker. Every single one of these charts is progressing along fairly well, except for one, which is empty. This is Henry’s chart, and he is a senior that is known for his rebelliousness, and he attends church only because his parents bring him along. For this reason, the other members of ouryouth group shun him, in a way. Even the adults give him skeptical and supercilious looks. The puritanical aspect here is quite literal, and I believe that it is unfair for him and his beliefs. He is surrounded by those who have a firm Christian association, and is castigated weekly for not adapting to his surroundings. Frankly, I believe that this is the reason some members of my chruch feign devotion. Some people may even be lying and just checking the boxes on the chart, just so that they are looked upon as devout Christians. I feel as if this is the wrong direction for a true church, but I know I am too young to have a say in any matters.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
People that Don't Read the Bible Aren't People- They're Zombies.
There are fourty-five charts on the wall in the basement of my church. Each chart has a member of the youth group’s name on it, along with a small box for each chapter on the New Testament in the Bible. After a chapter of the Bible is read by that person, the box is filled in with a red marker. Every single one of these charts is progressing along fairly well, except for one, which is empty. This is Henry’s chart, and he is a senior that is known for his rebelliousness, and he attends church only because his parents bring him along. For this reason, the other members of ouryouth group shun him, in a way. Even the adults give him skeptical and supercilious looks. The puritanical aspect here is quite literal, and I believe that it is unfair for him and his beliefs. He is surrounded by those who have a firm Christian association, and is castigated weekly for not adapting to his surroundings. Frankly, I believe that this is the reason some members of my chruch feign devotion. Some people may even be lying and just checking the boxes on the chart, just so that they are looked upon as devout Christians. I feel as if this is the wrong direction for a true church, but I know I am too young to have a say in any matters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment