Dear Diary,
Today I got called “Asian”. The proper term should be Korean. Just because Korea is located in Asia doesn’t mean it should be termed Asian, oriental, or any other generalized term. I guess that means any white person is European. I’m not sure if my logic is working there but I’ll go with it. Not to digress, but over the course of my high school career, there have been many instances where I have been confused to be “Jeff”. I cannot begin to count how many different teachers have done it. Substitutes never know the difference if we claim that we are in fact the other. The most recent event occurred in Mr. CV’s class. Seconds before, Gabrielle DP claimed something along the lines that the Chinese were getting bombed—due to the fact that it was a World War II discussion. Obviously Japan is the same as China, and this is precisely puritanical. To make things simple by terming everything from the East as Asian is just much more convenient isn’t it? Excuse me, I need to go sharpen my chopsticks so that I can eat my dumplings over white rice in won ton soup.
Love,
David
xoxoxoxoxoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment